Photo Credit: Rosa G. Gonzales
2. News item, 1883
(Father of Gibbs children who died in yellow fever epidemic and were buried in Old Bay view Cemetery)
Nuecestown, April 27th
James Gibbs, a native of England, aged about seventy years, died at Nuecestown last Monday evening, April 23d. Mr. Gibbs was an old resident of Nueces County being one of the Kinney colony who came out some thirty years ago. For the past few years he has been almost an invalid. The deceased was a member of the Baptist church, and was well liked by all who knew him. He leaves a widow but no children to mourn his loss.
Source: Corpus Christi Caller, April 29, 1883 page 2 col. 6
Research and transcription: Michael A. Howell
3. News item, 1914
Corpus Landmark is Being Removed for a Modern Structure
Luther Dwelling at 1008 Mesquite Being Torn Down
Building Sixty-Five Years Old to be Replaced by a Modern Dwelling
An old land-mark has gone. Pedestrians who have been walking up and down Mesquite street, on the 1000 block for the past sixty-five years, if there be any, will no longer see a house located on the lot numbered 1008, which has probably been a familiar sight to them for many years past. It was unique sight too, for the old building stood the test of time well, and has probably looked on sense that have been witnessed by few men.
At one time it was considered to be in the outskirts of Corpus Christi, but now it almost in the business section, being but one block from the court house; two blocks from Artesian Park, and in the same block as the magnificent new Methodist church. It was the desire of the owners, when they first built the house and bought the property, to get “out in the country” where they could raise chickens, and enjoy the farm life in the village.
Only once has any peril visited the house; rain and weather have done their worst to batter it, the sun has tried in vain to scorch the paint and wood, but all to no avail. The one peril that did come to this house was one that came in the inside, and left, taking two of the occupants, and breaking up a happy home. From that time on, over forty years ago, the place has been sold by twice; the first time to a member of the same family, and the second time to the present owner, who has held the deed to this property for over twenty years.
The house is known to the people of this generation as the Luther place, owned by Deputy Customs Collector Max Luther, who has been in Corpus Christi for many years making this his home, and who reluctantly goes on the first of next week to Port Aransas, where he will be stationed. Like the house the owner also has a unique distinction, for it was he who built the first telegraph line into Corpus Christi, and operated this end of it, before ever a railroad came here.
The old home was built in the early 50’s by Col. “Jimmy” Gibbs, an Englishman who came to his country while young, and brought up a family of five children, two of whom died during a yellow fever plague. Col. Gibbs was a ranchman, and had considerable property in Nueces county, in addition to his home in the city. Following the death of one of his sons, the place was sold to the Riveria family. This family kept the home until about twenty years ago when Mr. Luther brought it and has been living there since.
However the change from the old to the new will be a welcome one, for in place of this home which has stood for sixty years, there will be erected a modern two-story dwelling house in keeping with the harmony of this section of the street.
Source: Corpus Christi Caller and Daily Herald, June 24, 1914, p. 5, col.. 4
Research by: Msgr. Michael A. Howell
Transcription by: Geraldine D. McGloin, Nueces County Historical Commission