May 16, 1852
Jan. 25, 1941
Photo Credit: Rosa G. Gonzales
Provenance: Dr. and Mrs. George Merriman
4. Corpus Christi History by Murphy Givens
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (December 6, 2000). Available on microfilm.
5. Corpus Christi History by Murphy Givens
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (June 13, 2001). Available on microfilm.
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (January 24, 2003).
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (January 28, 2006).
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (March 28, 2007).
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (August 1, 2007).
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (January 16, 2008).
Corpus Christi Caller-Times (March 19, 2008).
13. News items, 1915
16. Merriman home
Source: Corpus Christi Caller
Special Illustrated Edition November, 1889
The old Swift homestead on Water street was pulled down yesterday by Messrs. Reid & Sutherland, who will erect anew two-story cottage for E. T. Merriman. The old one was erected in the early days of Corpus Christi over forty years ago, and has housed many people in its time; several times it was a boarding house. A number of our people were born in it, Mr. Nelson Noakes among the number. At one time twins were recorded; several marriages and deaths took place there some of he deaths being very sad indeed. The house stood until it could stand no longer and now it is a thing of the past. During the war between the states a number of Confederates took refuge in the building hiding out from the “Yankees,” who had made a raid on the town. Dr. Robertson, postmaster and druggist, ran through the block from main street and hid in the pantry, Mrs. Swift and one of her daughters placing the sideboard up against the door in such a manner that his pursuers never discovered him though they searched high and low. Mr. John Riggs, who hid under a sofa was soon found, pulled out and carried away on a vessel with other prisoners. The late Judge Gilpin had a novel and narrow escape from the Federals, which incident Mr. Julius Henry relates with a good deal of interest.
Source: Corpus Christi Caller, October 13, 1899, p. 4, col. 3
Research by: Msgr. Michael A. Howell
Transcription by: Geraldine D. McGloin, Nueces County Historical Commission